Old 16-02-2011, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
villon villon is offline

Default Does gardening cost less then a store.

On Feb 14, 3:38*am, "DogDiesel" wrote:
Does a garden pay for itself ? Or is it cheaper to go to the grocery store.

*how big you have to have to break even.

Money-wise, my garden doesn't come close to breaking even; although if
people like Marjory Wildcraft are correct, that might change in the
next few years...

http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=cWVtaY3Zdpc

http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=xBWHeR2ar1Q

http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=kT5Bi-RrpVQ

http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=OOEj23RwXIE

As many others have posted there is a lot of satisfaction from growing
your own food, and the flavor can't be beat. Personally, I just feel
better out in the sun, rain, dirt, air. Leave the phone and the
computer in the house and feel like I am really doing something
important pulling weeds and picking stones. I know that all the
world's problems and bullshit is still all around me, but I just don't
care - perhaps it's all an illusion that somehow I am still connected
to the larger galactoplasm, but it's a good illusion. It's also a
really great feeling to give food away to folks who think it always
comes from boxes and plastic wrap who can't believe the taste of
'real' food. As far as the o.p asking about big you have to have to
break even? I have no accurate idea of what I spend in money or time,
so it would be hard to figure.
Chas