Old 16-02-2011, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Homemade Insecticides - Tobaco

In article ,
DavidofWales wrote:

Hi, thanks to everyone who gave me valuable information and the links to
other relevant web pages. As you nice people and constructive posters
can see this is my third post, and I would like to give a forum a chance
before I leave it. These thanks exclude the first poster Nad as they
called me stupid.

If Nad had bothered to read my post properly asking for help Nad
wouldn't of bothered replying in such a way that makes themselfes come
across (I'm not saying they are) but come across like an obnoxious,
nasally spoken know it all with far too many references to television
programmes. God I cringed and felt embarrassed for Nad when I read
their reply!

OK I've been thinking about using the nicotine extracted from Nicotiana
Tobbacum as it's a natural mechanism of defence against insects. I've
just realised it's a broad spectrum insecticide and will therefore not
be using it on my vedge. I want as much predatory wildlife in my garden
as much as I don't want pests!

I think I'm going to try the soap methods and plant some marigolds
amongst my rows. I've read some interesting information on caffeine as
an insecticide but if you get the concentration wrong it may scorch the
foliage. In a low enough concentration it might just act as a
deterrent. I’ll try it when there's an outbreak of pests on my patch.

Again, thanks to all those who have contributed information
constructively.

Usually, if you have too many pests, something that eats them eventually
turns up.
--
- Billy
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²

http://peace.mennolink.org/articles/...acegroups.html

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...130964689.html