Old 16-02-2011, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete[_9_] Pete[_9_] is offline

Default Can ivy damage walls?

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
.. .

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:41:25 +0100, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

I planted an ivy the year before last against a house wall,
and it is not about 3 metres high.
It has a trellis up to about 2.5 metres,
but now it is growing above this.

My wife wants to cut it back because she thinks it will damage the house,
but I think that is a myth ...

Ivy roots will grow into any cracks in walls but it's not likely if
the walls are well constructed. The front of my house is covered in
ivy and there is no sign of any damage. The only problem I have had is
the ivy partially blocks up the gutters and the drainage when rainfall
is very heavy is far from perfect!

Steve

It is not a myth - Ivy can cause house damage.
You need to keep it well under control.
Once your drainage is compromised - damp will certainly set in.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

--