Old 16-02-2011, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete[_9_] Pete[_9_] is offline

Default Can ivy damage walls?

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
.. .

I speak as an ivy-lover. Disaster waiting to happen, in my bitter
experience. As people have already said, it doesn't seem to damage
sound masonry, but it will get into woodwork and lever it apart: same
for slates and airbricks. I'd have it out and put in a trachelospermum
or something. Grow it up a mature tree (not a young one, if you want
my opinion), or an old stump, or some other support, but not on a wall
or a fence: I don't think it's worth the risk.

I think gutters downpipes are main cause for damage concern.
When they cease to operate correctly - damp in walls and foundations
will soon follow.
I speak as an ivy hater - sorry Mike

Regards
Pete