Old 16-02-2011, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Homemade Insecticides - Tobaco

Gunner wrote:
On Feb 15, 5:35 pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Gunner wrote:
DavidofWales

being aware that you can also poison yourself by ingesting the tea.

it is dangerous 'common sense' might be to handle it

without much thought like you handle other tobacco products.

Ahh... I understand now. Know it was the stupid rabbit David, not
you. I don't have you in the group that needs a hot coffee warning
label so as to know it might burn if you spill it on you.

Your comparison is way off target. We all have experience of hot drinks so
it is obvious from childhood that they can burn you. There is nothing
obvious about tobacco that says it is immediately dangerous. Common
experience is the reverse, that you can safely handle tobacco, my
grandfather did not put on gloves to roll a cigarette. Unless you had
experience of handling the tea and inadvertently given yourself a buzz how
would you know it was quite toxic and could be absorbed through the skin
unless someone told you?

think the man needed more than the warning you gave and he damn sure
didn't need the theatrics from some others. You gave the man an
honest effort as to an answer and qualified your concerns and your
perspective. I do understand your concern about toxicity but do fact
checking heat killing nicotine in cigarettes ok? not quite right.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

or are you quibbling because I said 'destroyed by heat' rather than
'burned'?

This point is also relevant to perceptions of harm. Smokers smoke
cigarettes all the time without apparently poisoning themselves with
nicotine, this contributes to the perception that tobacco is relatively
harmless in the short term. When you make tea with it the majority of
nicotine is not destroyed as in the burning of the cigarette.