Old 17-02-2011, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default Homemade Insecticides - Tobaco

On Feb 16, 4:46*am, DavidofWales DavidofWales.
wrote:
Hi, thanks to everyone who gave me valuable information and the links to
other relevant web pages. *As you nice people and constructive posters
can see this is my third post, and I would like to give a forum a chance
before I leave it. * These thanks exclude the first poster Nad as they
called me stupid. *

If Nad had bothered to read my post properly asking for help Nad
wouldn't of bothered replying in such a way that makes themselfes come
across (I'm not saying they are) but come across like an obnoxious,
nasally spoken know it all with far too many references to television
programmes. *God I cringed and felt embarrassed for Nad when I read
their reply!

OK I've been thinking about using the nicotine extracted from Nicotiana
Tobbacum as it's a natural mechanism of defence against insects. *I've
just realised it's a broad spectrum insecticide and will therefore not
be using it on my vedge. *I want as much predatory wildlife in my garden
as much as I don't want pests!

I think I'm going to try the soap methods and plant some marigolds
amongst my rows. *I've read some interesting information on caffeine as
an insecticide but if you get the concentration wrong it may scorch the
foliage. *In a low enough concentration it might just act as a
deterrent. *I’ll try it when there's an outbreak of pests on my patch..

Again, thanks to all those who have contributed information
constructively.

--
DavidofWales

one question before you go David. Would you drink tabacco tea? Do
you have neighbors that might?

Good luck with that garden.