Old 17-02-2011, 05:25 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

The other point about ivy is that after a few years it becomes very vigorous. I had both ivy and boston ivy on the back of our house, and very good it looked. I was keeping both to about first floor window level - there's no way I was letting either get near our slate roof. But it became increasingly difficult to do this - growth of both was about 12 ft a year. So I got rid of both. Yours is still a youngster.

Walls and pointing are still in perfect condition.

Ivy doesn't break up sound brick or concrete. But the fine shoots will get into small cracks, and then of course get larger over the years, and that's what causes the problems.