Old 17-02-2011, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Homemade Insecticides - Tobaco

DavidofWales wrote:
Hi I'm wondering if I could boil some tobaco in water and use the
resulting solution to spray on vedge as an insecticde? If so, what are
the ratios and will my vedge be ok to eat or will they become toxic?
Will they even be damaged by the spray?

If not does anybody else know of any cheap homemade alternatives to the
store bought stuff. I'm really trying to keep costs to a minimum this
year givien my skintness!

Many thanks

Dave

I still have an old bottle of Black Leaf 40 insecticide -- nicotine
sulfate. It's one of the few home use poisons with a "DANGER!"
warning on the label. I'm afraid to use it in my garden or on
seedlings just in case it's contaminated with tobacco mosaic virus.
(from what I remember, it works great on African violets.) It's
probably OK, but I don't want to take the chance.

There's no way I would use actual tobacco juice in my garden.

-Bob