Old 18-02-2011, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Homemade Insecticides - Tobaco

"DavidofWales" wrote in message
news

Hi I'm wondering if I could boil some tobaco in water and use the
resulting solution to spray on vedge as an insecticde? If so, what are
the ratios and will my vedge be ok to eat or will they become toxic?
Will they even be damaged by the spray?

If not does anybody else know of any cheap homemade alternatives to the
store bought stuff. I'm really trying to keep costs to a minimum this
year givien my skintness!

Many thanks

Dave

--
DavidofWales

I live in a traditional tobacco(burley) growing area. It is quite common to
see the stalks used as fertilizer after the cured leaves are pulled from
them. They are mostly used on lawns and pasture, rarely on gardens. Tobacco
mosaic disease will affect vegetables in the nightshade family. The
fertilized break down is 2-1-7 and apparently readily soluble by rainwater.
Occasionally the stalks are used for staking pole beans. Those who use them
claim the advantage of free fertilizer and no bugs, but if you dig in the
ground after the growing season there are no earthworms. I have helped my
father and others produce tobacco in younger days and wouldn't recommend
eating anything tobacco was used on. From the time they sprout the plants
are treated with fungicides, pesticides, herbicides (in the field prior to
planting) and hormones (to prevent the plants from producing suckers after
they are topped (flower buds removed)). I personally have experienced
nicotine "highs", especially from handling the cured leaves. If you are
really such a tightwad learn to hand pick and use inspectoral soap.