Old 19-02-2011, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Charity Plant Stall

"Garden Novice" wrote in message

Hi
Please can anyone help with ideas for a plant stall we have just decided
to have at our School charity fundraiser at the end of March?! I am new
to gardening and just don't know what might be possible....I know its
only 5 weeks away so I was wondering if herb seeds or bulbs might grow
enough to sell in that time? I will contact my local garden centre to
see if they can help but any other ideas gratefully received. GN

Bulbs would have needed to already be in to lool good in 5 weeks time but if
you can find someone who has a big blob of bulbs then it might be worth
trying to dig up the clump, divide them and pot them up.
Also if you can find someone who has a lot of thyme plants, they are easy to
dig up and to pot up and since they have nice fibrous roots they also take
well to being transplanted into pots. Wandering round a jungly garden is
another good way to identify plants for fund raising eg, flowering shrubs
that have rooted into paths (rosemary and viburnum come to mind in my own
garden) and, in the flower line so does scabious and chrysanthemum. I'd
also be thinking about my foxtail lilies and lilies which have giant bulbs,
these cost quite a lot to buy but which breed quite happily in my garden -
people always buy those big bulbs because they are good value.

Go for a wander round the neigbourhood and ask any gardeners you see what
they've bought at fund raising stalls and also what they would recommend you
to pot up. I'll bet pounds to peanuts that if you do that, you'll not only
get good advice, but you'll also get some plant material or donations for
your stall.