Old 19-02-2011, 06:04 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksy View Post
try planting laurel bushes, about three feet apart and cut the tops out to the height you wish them to grow. once mature, they grow very dense and are easy to maintain with a decent hedge cutter.. good luck..
Though remember that a hedge grows sideways as well as upwards, and will take a 2-3 ft slice off each of your garden edges. I'd consider either a higher fence/trellis with climbing plants or a mixed hedge of plants that you actually like.

Think hard about what you mean by privacy. I find that the illusion of privacy is adequate - I know people can see me (if they try hard enough) through my mixture of honeysuckle, clematis, roses and mock orange, but I can't see them, and that, I find, is all that matters.

Reserve somewhere in good light for your veggies and herbs - you'll struggle to grow them well if they're shaded. Consider growing fruit - tends to be more forgiving than veg. But also longer term, so it depends too on how long you expect to be in the flat.