Old 19-02-2011, 06:58 PM
OtherFellow OtherFellow is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Hi, I'm a 1st time buyer - a ground floor flat with a garden. I have zero gardening experience!

My main task is to make the garden more secluded as at the moment there is just a slotted fence, and the many people who walk by can see in. Ideally I'd like to get this sorted for the Summer.

Can anyone offer some cheap(ish) and little effort solutions? Is ivy a possibility, and would I need to stick a climbing mesh up first? Or Simply plant a load of hedgerows - what types should I look out for?

Thanks for reading.
I'd add extra boards to the fence on the inside so that they are placed over the gaps and have their own gaps not in line with the gaps between the outside boards. In this way you will still have a fence that has reduced wind resistance but will achieve privacy.

This will also be instant, unlike ivy which sits for a couple of years and then goes ballistic. If you get the timber from a builders merchant and ask for a price first it shouldn't be too expensive either. There's an art to buying from builders merchants but it's the way to go!
Nick

http://otherfellow.co.uk

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later"
Og Mandino