Old 19-02-2011, 08:48 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilli99 View Post
When I buy a plug plant, either online or at a garden centre, the roots have a gauze-like material wrapped around the roots. Why is this? Answers would be appreciated, please.
Hi Gilli, I think what your refering to are 'Jiffy 7' growing pots that the producer has used to either take cuttings in or prick out the seeds into. They are small flat compressed discs of compost (bought flat and dry) When spaced out and watered they swell into handy (mesh enclosed) little 'pots' ideal for mass producing plants. you just plant the whole thing and the mesh will eventually rot away. They are available from garden centres and can be very useful as there is no transplanting check.
Lannerman