Old 20-02-2011, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
[email protected] despen@verizon.net is offline

Default Why Arenšt G.M.O. Foods Labeled?

Frank writes:

On 2/20/2011 1:09 PM, wrote:
Gary writes:

wrote:

As far as labeling GMO foods, I'm not concerned at all.
Selected crops aren't labeled as such

There's a rather fundamental difference between selective breeding and
inserting genes from a different species. Corn that makes BT toxin in its
pollen, for instance. Not at all the same as Radiator Johnny crossing
tomato lines to get a bigger and tastier fruit to pay off his mortgage.

As I said, foods with unique components, especially components that
might cause a reaction should be labeled that way.

The wikipedia page on transgenic corn is "interesting".
After reading that, I don't think the issue of labeling is relevant.

Corn producing BT toxins doesn't sound safe at all.
I can't see any justification for allowing that trait into crops.

Actually, first line of defense for plants is chemical warfare.
Think about it.

That's true but see my comment about poison ivy and kudzu.

The combination would be beneficial to the plant.
Humans would have another reason not to go near the plant
but it wouldn't be a good thing.

The Wikipedia article raises a number of disturbing things
about corn bred to kill insects. Probably most ironic is
that if this is used widely, we'll almost certainly get
insects that are immune.