Old 20-02-2011, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default slug and snail deterent

On 20/02/2011 08:37, spinksy wrote:
Alan;913243 Wrote:
In message , spinksy
wrote

snip

What size of slug/snail was this tested on?

Very soon we will be having slugs of a few millimeters crawling up
pots.

What about copper plating the rings?

--
Alan

hi alan, i tested it on slugs that were from 6mm in length and
longer,the two rows of cones are made in such a way,that the slugs will
pass over at least one of the cones, which pierces their under side and
shortly afterwards they die.i have spoken to many gardeners about the
copper rings and most of them say they are not always effective. thats
what prompted myself to develope my ring. i dont think anyone can
guarantee a 100% effective solution, especially with tiny slugs ans
snails you describe, but for a a cheaper price than the copper rings, my
solution is very effective and once i get feedback from users, i can
produce them in any colour to suit, making them more attractive. thank
you for taking the time to ask your question.. please feel free to ask
anything,, regatds. spinksy

Are the undersides of slugs different from snails? I have seen photos
of snails crawling over cut-throat razors without problem, and as they
crawl over (and eat!) several of my cacti without caring about the
spines, they must be pretty resistant to getting punctured. I thought a
slug was, more-or-less, a snail without a shell, so why do your cones
puncture slugs mantles when cacti spines don't touch snails' mantles?

--

Jeff