Old 21-02-2011, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Heeeellllp!

In article ,
"Kate in MI" wrote:

Clean out an empty tuna can and pour it half full with the cheapest beer you
can find. Set the cans through your planting area. The slugs are a drunken
bunch!

This may sound crazy -- but I am currently taking a Master Gardener
course -- and this was one of the methods recommended by the instructor.

Kate in Michigan

"K8eP" wrote in message ...

Look for a snail bait whose active ingredient is "iron phosphate"
(ferric phosphate). "Iron phosphate" is only poisonous to slug and
snails, not people, or their pets. It is sometimes used as a nutritional
supplement for people. I have used it for years, in areas of my yard
where my cats and dogs have access, with no problems. Use it 24 hr.s
ahead of planting, and it can be safely used to the day of harvest.
--
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953