Old 21-02-2011, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Planting apple and cherry trees

Julian200 wrote in
:

I have a few apple and ornamental cherry trees to plant, the soil I have
is crumbly clay when broken up, well drained on a slight slope. When
planting should I dig a 4 foot square hole and replace all this soil
with good top soil, or should I leave the original clay soil and just
dig it over?

Thanks

I would mix your clay soil with compost and re-use it, adding blood fish
and bone.
A 4' square hole is on the large side I think. Over the last 3 years I have
planted fruit trees with the hole just big enough for the roots and they
are doing very well.

Good luck with your project
Baz