Old 21-02-2011, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is my cordyline tree dead ?

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:16:54 +0000, harvey1964
wrote:

after severe frosts at christmas my cordyline has been shedding leaves
everyday for the last few weeks...its getting very bare looking now ?
will it come back again or is it a goner !!! its been growing for 15
years so far....

My Cordyline lost all it's leaves last winter. I was assured by
"experts" that it would recover. I'm still waiting.

What a lot of people miss is that New Zealand lies a LOT closer to
the equator than the UK does, and doesn't have our miserable winters
even its far south, though they have comparable winter temperatures
to the south of England. The north of New Zealand is a LOT warmer,
of course.

I don't know how good those are at recovering from frost, per se,
but what often sees such plants off in the UK is the rot that so
often follows frost damage. I have lost ALL of my thyme this year,
though it is very hardy against frost as such. Plants like bay,
that will regrow from deep roots, are very different.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.