Old 21-02-2011, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is my cordyline tree dead ?

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

I don't know how good those are at recovering from frost, per se,
but what often sees such plants off in the UK is the rot that so
often follows frost damage. I have lost ALL of my thyme this year,
though it is very hardy against frost as such. Plants like bay,
that will regrow from deep roots, are very different.

The roots try to get back to their homeland so it is rare that they don't
come back from the roots, one of mine did from 3ft down, cut off by
builders, and the top grew too planted elsewhere. Both have suffered this
winter for the first time.

Very like bay, then. A plant like that will be killed only if it
is cut back to the ground for too many years on the trot. Some
can survive that happening every year, but some can't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.