Old 21-02-2011, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Are we chitting?

Baz wrote:
I bought a plastic tunnel the other day on impulse. I would only get 10
seed potatoes under it but its a start.
Do you get a much earlier harvest? I would like to know, I am always on the
lookout for ways to get earlier summer crops.

I don't think we've tried potatoes under plastic, but I guess it would
protect against unexpected late frost, which can kill off the top growth if
you've not been soiling them up enough. Some of ours got zapped by frost
last year.

We use fleece to cover our brassicas to keep off pests, but they never work
cos the damned things just rip when it gets windy. Nick does keep trying,
though!