Old 21-02-2011, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fairy rings. Copied from uk.d-i-y

In article ,
kay wrote:
Granity;913427 Wrote:

We were talking about FAIRY rings, Fairy Ring Champinons are excellent
eating.

So what to your mind is the distinguishing feature of a FAIRY ring?

This forum is read by many who do not recognise different species of
fungi.
If your definition is that a Fairy ring is a ring comprising edible
fairy ring champignons, how confident are you that someone who doesn't
know fungi will be able to distinguish that from a ring of Clytocybe
dealbata?

Are you saying that there is some other defining feature of a Fairy ring
which will tell you that the fruiting bodies are of the Fairy ring
champignon and not Clitocybe dealbata or other ring forming species?

It is dangerously misleading to give advice which, to the uninitiated,
sounds like "if you have a ring of fungi on your lawn, the fungi are
edible and delicious".

That is very true. I have fairy rings on my lawn, made up of fungi
that are edible but not worth eating - yes, they are neither of the
above. There are dozens, perhaps hundreds, of species that form
fairy rings, and they vary from the edible and delicious to the
lethally poisonous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.