Old 22-02-2011, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Phytophthora?

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 15:18:53 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Our large old Camellia has some problem that is causing it's old leaves to
fall before their usual time, I'm not convinced it's Phytophthora as the
necrosis does not spread down the midrib of the leaves, that is the last
place to die. First noticed this problem about 2 years ago.
I've uploaded some photos I took today at....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7626110259390/

Another lily flowered Camellia about 15ft away is unaffected as is "Madame
de Strekaloff" in the front garden.

What do the experts think, Phytophthora or a virus or something else?

Have you tested the pH of the soil around the camellia? I had one go
like that a while back and cured the problem once I'd discovered that
the pH of the soil had changed.

AFAIK, the kernoviae variant of the dreaded "P" is the only one that
would attack a camellia but that's (again AFAIK) currently confined to
Cornwall and, dammit, South Wales! If you want to be sure", you can
get a kit from the link below that tests for all forms of it. I lost a
rhododendron and was worried as "P"s been found not far from me and it
sort of looked right as the culprit. The test reassures if nothing
else and in my case avoided the complications arising from discovery.

http://www.pocketdiagnostic.com/products/31