Old 22-02-2011, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Is my cordyline tree dead ?

On 22/02/2011 13:22, echinosum wrote:
stuart noble;913438 Wrote:
I wonder about the leptospermum tea tree from down under. No sign of
life on mine. Brown all over but at least no shedding of leaves yet.

My experience, at least of L scoparium, is that they are rather like
ceanothus and leyland cypress in that they don't seem to reshoot from
areas of dead leaves. My leptospermum scoparium "red damask" proved
rather hardier than the -5 to -6 that was quoted for it, and passed
through several -7 winters undamaged (though these -7s were always only
brief), and even the (very brief) -9 we had in the 08/09 winter. But
the prolonged cold of 09/10 did for it, even though I never recorded
below -6 that winter. Another one with white flowers was killed rather
more easily.

Thanks. Looks like mine's a gonner too.