Old 23-02-2011, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Phytophthora?

In article , says...
Our large old Camellia has some problem that is causing it's old leaves to
fall before their usual time, I'm not convinced it's Phytophthora as the
necrosis does not spread down the midrib of the leaves, that is the last
place to die. First noticed this problem about 2 years ago.
I've uploaded some photos I took today at....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7626110259390/

Another lily flowered Camellia about 15ft away is unaffected as is "Madame
de Strekaloff" in the front garden.

What do the experts think, Phytophthora or a virus or something else?

Bob, I don't think its Phytophthora, the die back is the other way
around, with Phytophthora the die back spreads up the mid rib first.
Virus or scale might be worth checking for although there is not much you
can do about either
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk