Old 23-02-2011, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Deer and Hostas

mkr5000 wrote:

What a shame -- I have nothing but shade around here and they love to
eat when I'm SLEEPING, the SOB's. Also, found out this year they love
Yews, but not Junipers?

Deer love yews, they only just like junipers. You need to know that
when deer are hungry they will eat most anything. If it's rural where
you live and winters are cold and snowy you will note that folks don't
have many plantings that aren't fenced. There are lists of plants
noting their relative susceptibility to deer browing.

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/deerresistance/default.asp

Maybe I can just rig up something with auto on lighting and some audio
to scare them -- electronics is my business.

Deer hardly notice when my motion sensing outside lights come on.
There are all sorts of electronic gadgets available that claim success
but don't actually work. All those chemicals that claim to deter deer
don't work either. And there are all sorts of old wives myths, none
work. The only reliable deer deterrent is a good tall strong fence.

Essentially you need to decide if you want to live in the country or
the city... whether you want to share your environment with hoodlums
or deer... I choose the four footed critters anytime. Deer will never
mug you, they have no pockets, they take only what they need to eat.
Good luck in your new digs.