Old 23-02-2011, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Deer and Hostas

On 2/23/2011 3:49 PM, wrote:
writes:

On 2/23/2011 12:01 PM, mkr5000 wrote:
Thanks.

What a shame -- I have nothing but shade around here and they love to
eat when I'm SLEEPING, the SOB's. Also, found out this year they love
Yews, but not Junipers?

Maybe I can just rig up something with auto on lighting and some audio
to scare them -- electronics is my business.

I use netting. Electric fences will work. They can easily jump a 6
foot fence when they have to. Smaller fences will deter them but not
stop them.

I've heard their limit is around 10 feet.

The 6 footer I put up seems to be working but the deer have other
places to eat and finding take off and landing spots isn't that
easy. There are bushes in most spots on both sides of the fence.

I have a neighbor that swears 2 fences a few feet apart always
works. They don't even have to be high, maybe 4 feet.

I think it's in the area of 8 to 10 feet. Any obstacle will deter them
but if pushed they will get around it. I've never gotten a chemical
deterrent to work. It may put them off for a while but after a while
they will ignore it. Netting would not hold if they wanted to crash
through it but I've only had this happen once when the herd was after my
chestnuts and took out netting around my hydrangeas.