Old 23-02-2011, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
[email protected] despen@verizon.net is offline

Default Why Arenšt G.M.O. Foods Labeled?

Billy writes:

In article
,
Big Country wrote:

On Feb 20, 12:46*pm, wrote:
Billy writes:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...g-m-o-foods-la
beled/?partner=rss&emc=rss

FEBRUARY 15, 2011, 9:00 PM
Why Aren t G.M.O. Foods Labeled?
By MARK BITTMAN

Seems to me, that's short sighted. *Selective breeding might be
1000s or even millions of times slower than GMO but a mutation is
a mutation. *There is no theoretical limit to what can be accomplished
with selective breeding. *It's just going to take a longer time.

You can breed salmon genes into a tomato with selective breeding?

They transfer individual genes.
I don't see why not.

Maybe you could get a tomato to produce fish oil?

Take longer indeed, salmon and tomatoes sprang from eukaryotic cells,
which evolved 1.6*2.1 billion years ago, and developed along completely
different lines (Plant Kingdom, Animal Kingdom).

Yep, but that's why GMO is so cool, we won't have to wait for a billion
years to get our fish oil tomatoes.