Old 23-02-2011, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Killing moss in lawn.

On 23/02/2011 15:30, mark wrote:
I've got a lot of lawn and a lot of moss. What is likely to be the most cost
effective way to get rid of the moss chemically, granules or spraying? And
any recommended product?

If the conditions are right for the moss to grow then no amount of
chemicals will make any difference. The moss will come back quickly.

Hitting it with any of the generic spring weed and feed will get it
going again and give the grass a head start as will adding a bit of
cheap lime, but to banish moss forever you have to improve the drainage.

This is easier said than done. A strong hollow tined fork used manually
or for a big lawn an industrial grade equivalent and some very sharp
sand or fine grit to rake over it afterwards is your best bet.

I find on my heavy clay soil with small pebbles in it that hollow tined
forks tend to deform rather than go into the ground. YMMV

Don't get suckered by the promises of the likes of "ChemLawn" franchises
and their equivalents which mainly appeals to Merkins.

Regards,
Martin Brown