Old 23-02-2011, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Killing moss in lawn.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:30:26 -0000, "mark"
wrote:

I've got a lot of lawn and a lot of moss. What is likely to be the most cost
effective way to get rid of the moss chemically, granules or spraying? And
any recommended product?

Others' experience will, of course, be different, but I've found the
organic product known as "Elbow Grease" is best. Even if your
commercial product kills the moss completely, you'll still have to go
in with the rake to get it out; and in a few months it'll be back,
anyway. There are power rakes, but I've never used one.

The moss grows there because the habitat is right. Shade encourages
it; and they always say you should improve your drainage, but in
theory you should do that for the lawn anyway, and it may not work if
the underlying geology or the climate's against you. You can't get
better drainage than a concrete yard such as I had at one side of my
house in Wales, and it wasn't particularly shady: moss used to grow on
it in profusion. If I'd been in dry Norfolk, I daresay it would have
been another story.

--
Mike.