Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Ross Vandegrift

Default What plants should an LFS sell?

In article , NetMax wrote:
Each tank (or light category) should include 1
foreground plant and 1 floating plant. I would like to carry a few
exotic plants, but I need to clearly identify them as such.

You don't mention this, but what about background plants? I've had
trouble finding a wide variety of plants that grown high, especially
some that won't be devoured by fish in a few hours ::-).

LOW LIGHT, EASY

Definately Anubias - I picked up a pair of anubias on the cheap from a
Petco. It was part of my first planted aquarium ever, and it's still
alive. Slow grower, but man, you'd have to try to kill this stuff! I'm
afraid I don't know exactly which variety I have.

I use water sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) as my quick growth
plant. It grows well in any light, and most conditions I've thrown at it.

Java Fern is another obvious choice, but I'm not a fan of those huge
Java ferns. Your mileage (and people's opinions) may vary.

AVERAGE LIGHT, EASY

I'd suggest some Myrio here - the green variety looks nicer (IMHO), but
the red variety seems quite a bit more resiliant.

Hygrophilia is a good one. Grows fast, looks nice. I'm a fan of Sunset
Hygros (Hygrophilia polysperma).

--
Ross Vandegrift

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.