Old 24-02-2011, 07:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Angello Huong Angello Huong is offline

Default Seedlings

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:46:57 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

My seedlings have become very spindely. They are ready to start going
to the green house for daily visits. My question is will they improve
and become sturdy? I know they should be transplanted into deeper dirt
but I really don't want to do that yet. Opinions? Ideas?
MJ

I think once they become long and thin, they will generally stay
that way for the rest of their little plant lives. They'll still grow
and produce decent fruits & veggies, but maybe not quite as abundantly
as a short stout plant. Eventually, if they get too far gone in being
long and thin (from deprivation of adequate light), the chance of
fruiting goes down by a decent amount.

Seedlings need lots of light the minute they break out of the soil.
Just a note for the next time....

I start mine indoors near the end of winter and right when they
sprout, I put a fluorescent light over them right away. Hook up a
cheap lamp timer to the lights if you want to control the hours. It's
pretty amazing how fast some of these seedlings can grow when they're
young. Sometimes even and inch or two a day. The bigger the seeds,
the faster the sprouting growth. So put the light on them quick.

The downside about having short, long plants (even if they can
produce normal fruit) is that they are vulnerable to high winds and
can snap in half and die a lot easier.

Angello