Old 24-02-2011, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Why Arenıt G.M.O. Foods Labeled?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...g-m-o-foods-la
beled/?partner=rss&emc=rss

FEBRUARY 15, 2011, 9:00 PM
Why Arenıt G.M.O. Foods Labeled?
By MARK BITTMAN

If you want to avoid sugar, aspartame, trans-fats, MSG, or just about
anything else, you read the label. If you want to avoid G.M.O.ıs ‹
genetically modified organisms ‹ youıre out of luck. Theyıre not listed.
You could, until now, simply buy organic foods, which by law canıt
contain more than 5 percent G.M.O.ıs. Now, however, even that may not
work.
In the last three weeks, the U.S. Department of Agriculture has approved
three new kinds of genetically engineered (G.E.) foods: alfalfa (which
becomes hay), a type of corn grown to produce ethanol), and *sugar
beets. And the approval by the Food and Drug Administration of a
super-fast-growing salmon ‹ the first genetically modified animal to be
sold in the U.S., but probably not the last ‹ may not be far behind.

Itıs unlikely that these productsı potential *benefits could possibly
outweigh their potential for harm. But even more unbelievable is that
the F.D.A.and the U.S.D.A. will not require any of these products, or
foods containing them, to be labeled as genetically engineered, because
they donıt want to ³suggest or imply² that these foods are ³different.²
(Labels with half-truths about health benefits appear to be O.K., but
thatıs another story.)
They are arguably different, but more important, people are leery of
them. Nearly an entire continent ‹ itıs called Europe ‹ is so wary that
G.E. crops are barely grown there and there are strict bans on imports
(that policy is in danger). Furthermore, most foods containing more than
0.9 percent G.M.O.ıs must be labeled.
(cont.)

Singing in the rain Just singing in the rain. I'm happy again. Yada
Yada. Who wants a label besides me?

.................................................. ..........

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/newPathogenI...adyGMCrops.php

ISIS Report 21/02/11
Emergency! Pathogen New to Science Found in Roundup Ready GM Crops?
USDA senior scientist sends ³emergency² warning to US Secretary of
Agriculture Tom Vilsack on a new plant pathogen in Roundup Ready GM
soybean and corn that may be responsible for high rates of infertility
and spontaneous abortions in livestock Dr. Mae-Wan Ho
Please distribute widely and forward to your elected representatives

An open letter appeared on the Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance founded
and run by Judith McGeary to save family farms in the US [1, 2]. *The
letter, written by Don Huber, professor emeritus at Purdue University,
to Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack, warns of a pathogen ³new to
science² discovered by ³a team of senior plant and animal scientists².
Huber says it should be treated as an ³emergencyıı, as it could result
in ³a collapse of US soy and corn export markets and significant
disruption of domestic food and feed supplies.²
The letter appeared to have been written before Vilsack announced his
decision to authorize unrestricted commercial planting of GM alfalfa on
1 February, in the hope of convincing the Secretary of Agriculture to
impose a moratorium instead on deregulation of Roundup Ready (RR) crops.
*
The new pathogen appears associated with serious pervasive diseases in
plants - sudden death syndrome in soybean and Goss' wilt in corn * but
its suspected effects on livestock is alarming.* Huber refers to ³recent
reports of infertility rates in dairy heifers of over 20%, and
spontaneous abortions in cattle as high as 45%.²
This could be the worst nightmare of genetic engineering that some
scientists including me have been warning for years [3] (see Genetic
Engineering Dream or Nightmare, ISIS publication): the unintended
creation of new pathogens through assisted horizontal gene transfer and
recombination.
Huber writes in closing: ³I have studied plant pathogens for more than
50 years. We are now seeing an unprecedented trend of increasing plant
and animal diseases and disorders. This pathogen may be instrumental to
understanding and solving this problem. It deserves immediate attention
with significant resources to avoid a general collapse of our critical
agricultural infrastructure.²
The complete letter is reproduced below.
Dear Secretary Vilsack:
A team of senior plant and animal scientists have recently brought to my
attention the discovery of an electron microscopic pathogen that appears
to significantly impact the health of plants, animals, and probably
human beings. Based on a review of the data, it is widespread, very
serious, and is in much higher concentrations in Roundup Ready (RR)
soybeans and corn-suggesting a link with the RR gene or more likely the
presence of Roundup. This organism appears NEW to science!
*This is highly sensitive information that could result in a collapse of
US soy and corn export markets and significant disruption of domestic
food and feed supplies. On the other hand, this new organism may already
be responsible for significant harm (see below). My colleagues and I are
therefore moving our investigation forward with speed and discretion,
and seek assistance from the USDA and other entities to identify the
pathogen's source, prevalence, implications, and remedies.
We are informing the USDA of our findings at this early stage,
specifically due to your pending decision regarding approval of RR
alfalfa. Naturally, if either the RR gene or Roundup itself is a
promoter or co-factor of this pathogen, then such approval could be a
calamity. Based on the current evidence, the only reasonable action at
this time would be to delay deregulation at least until sufficient data
has exonerated the RR system, if it does.
For the past 40 years, I have been a scientist in the professional and
military agencies that evaluate and prepare for natural and manmade
biological threats, including germ warfare and disease outbreaks. Based
on this experience, I believe the threat we are facing from this
pathogen is unique and of a high risk status. In layman's terms, it
should be treated as an emergency.
A diverse set of researchers working on this problem have contributed
various pieces of the puzzle, which together presents the following
disturbing scenario:

Unique Physical Properties
This previously unknown organism is only visible under an electron
microscope (36,000X), with an approximate size range equal to a medium
size virus. It is able to reproduce and appears to be a
micro-fungal-like organism. If so, it would be the first such
micro-fungus ever identified. There is strong evidence that this
infectious agent promotes diseases of both plants and mammals, which is
very rare.

Pathogen Location and Concentration
It is found in high concentrations in Roundup Ready soybean meal and
corn, distillers meal, fermentation feed products, pig stomach contents,
and pig and cattle placentas.

Linked with Outbreaks of Plant Disease
The organism is prolific in plants infected with two pervasive diseases
that are driving down yields and farmer income-sudden death syndrome
(SDS) in soy, and Goss' wilt in corn. The pathogen is also found in the
fungal causative agent of SDS (Fusarium solani fsp glycines).
Implicated in Animal Reproductive Failure
Laboratory tests have confirmed the presence of this organism in a wide
variety of livestock that have experienced spontaneous abortions and
infertility. Preliminary results from ongoing research have also been
able to reproduce abortions in a clinical setting.
The pathogen may explain the escalating frequency of infertility and
spontaneous abortions over the past few years in US cattle, dairy,
swine, and horse operations. These include recent reports of infertility
rates in dairy heifers of over 20%, and spontaneous abortions in cattle
as high as 45%.
*For example, 450 of 1,000 pregnant heifers fed wheatlege experienced
spontaneous abortions. Over the same period, another 1,000 heifers from
the same herd that were raised on hay had no abortions. High
concentrations of the pathogen were confirmed on the wheatlege, which
likely had been under weed management using glyphosate.

Recommendations
In summary, because of the high titer of this new animal pathogen in
Roundup Ready crops, and its association with plant and animal diseases
that are reaching epidemic proportions, we request USDA's participation
in a multi-agency investigation, and an immediate moratorium on the
deregulation of RR crops until the causal/predisposing relationship with
glyphosate and/or RR plants can be ruled out as a threat to crop and
animal production and human health.
It is urgent to examine whether the side-effects of glyphosate use may
have facilitated the growth of this pathogen, or allowed it to cause
greater harm to weakened plant and animal hosts. It is well-documented
that glyphosate promotes soil pathogens and is already implicated with
the increase of more than 40 plant diseases; it dismantles plant
defenses by chelating vital nutrients; and it reduces the
bioavailability of nutrients in feed, which in turn can cause animal
disorders. To properly evaluate these factors, we request access to the
relevant USDA data.
I have studied plant pathogens for more than 50 years. We are now seeing
an unprecedented trend of increasing plant and animal diseases and
disorders. This pathogen may be instrumental to understanding and
solving this problem. It deserves immediate attention with significant
resources to avoid a general collapse of our critical agricultural
infrastructure.

Sincerely,

COL (Ret.) Don M. Huber
Emeritus Professor, Purdue University
APS Coordinator, USDA National Plant Disease Recovery System (NPDRS)