Old 24-02-2011, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default HELP!!!!!!! someone please!!!!!

trouble626 wrote:
Can someone help me please, I searched high and low for a bottlebrush
like the one my mother had that the council destroyed. Found it
CALLISTEMON rigidus.

I planted it last year, along with a smaller more plant like
bottlebrush and covered them over our horrible winter as she had told
me they would not cope with the cold until it was a few years old.

The weather has finally picked up and I've removed the "breathable,
protective" cover, all the leaves are brown, and covered in mildew
spots, the thing looks dead. However, the end branches are still very
pliable when you bend them, so it makes me think the plant itself
isn't dead.

I know you can prune them, but to remove all the dead leaves, I'd have
to cut it right down to the ground.

I've spent so long looking for this plant, and now I'm scared the -14C
weather has killed it.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Grow plants that are suitable for your climate.

David