Old 25-02-2011, 11:26 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_c_2k7 View Post
hello all, i have grown my own habanero and jelapino chilli plants and they grew fast until they started flowerin now everytime a flower comes it dries up and drops off, ive got about 15 all together and only 3 produced 1 chilli each last year. now the plants are growing more leaves and flowers but nothing yet? can anyone tell me wat i should do?. I only planted them about june last year and now there is little white bugs crawlin round in the soil, ive got a crawling insect killer spray and it seems to work. but still no chillies?
They won't set fruit unless they have sufficient light intensity, which they won't have even in a south-facing window at this time of year. So you either wait till May, or use growlights.

Normally people plant chilli seeds in Feb and get them to fruit same year. Overwintering in UK is usually reckoned to be tricky - when I tried they all died - but if you manage it you get them off faster than regrowing from seed.