Old 26-02-2011, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Effect of salt on concrete?

"harry" wrote in message
On Feb 17, 10:45 am, "anon and off" wrote:
During the recent cold spell, I kept a footpath's width along
the driveway clear by copious amounts of cooking salt.

Now, although the rest of the concrete has 56 years' of
grey drabness and growth (which you could "liken" to a moss)
the bit that I kept clear is yellowish and crumbling.

I wonder if anyone here has the chemical reaction info, or
similar experiences?

I think you'll find it is all crumbling. You have just exposed it with
your salt.
A couple of applications is not going to hurt tit.

I spreasd a small amopunt of typical couincil grit on my paths and the
surface has degenerated and is certainly damaged.
I can't agree that "a couple of applications is not gpoint to hurt tit !

A strong possibility is that water has been absorbed by the top thin layer
of the concrete and has "blown" in being frozen.

Bill