Old 26-02-2011, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel rbel is offline

Default Ground cover suggestions please

We have a planted area between our boundary wall and the pavement, about
3m x 40m. It used to be managed by the developer and was then taken over
by the local authority when the road was adopted. The problem is that the
LA no longer have the funds or resources to look after the area and it has
been getting somewhat neglected. We have started to tidy it up (Big
Society???) and it occurs that planting ground cover could help reduce
future maintenance. We have cleared a lot of the overgrown shrubbery and
ivy, leaving three large mature conifers and a few shrubs that are worth
keeping.

We would be grateful for any suggestions for evergreen ground cover for an
area that is in the shade of the conifers for much of the day, fairly
heavy soil (Devon Redlands and clay mix) - we have some Pachysandra
terminalis which will undoubtedly grow reasonably well but wonder if there
is anything that is a bit more attractive (no hedera!)

--
rbel