Old 27-02-2011, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Frogs all gone

On Feb 27, 7:37*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
I seem to have lost all my frogs ( as in none have come to the pool this
year). Three years ago I had a colony of at least 30. * Then I lost a whole
load of spawn eaten by bloody dragon fly larvae *which I had not realized
were there. I know some people like dragon flies but I prefer frogs. So I
cleared the pond *but the following year it was a hard winter and again I
lost frogs and spawn . This year, nothing.

I know I have a frog ( or two) around the garden . Last saw one a few weeks
ago by my greenhouse. But nothing in the pond. I also checked the pond and I
don't even seem to have any newts. I had a few of those to.

Is this the end then? *Is there anything I can do to get *frogs to come?

I think the spawn is late this year. Bad idea cleanig our too much in
a wildlife pond. Do it a bit at a time. Dragon flies BTW are
attracted by open water, they apparently can see it from miles away.
Ego weeds that cover the pond surface might be good for you and
somewhere for frogs to hide. Water lily?