Old 27-02-2011, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sweetheart sweetheart is offline

Default Frogs all gone

"harry" wrote in message
On Feb 27, 7:37 am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Is this the end then? Is there anything I can do to get frogs to come?

I think the spawn is late this year. Bad idea cleanig our too much in
a wildlife pond. Do it a bit at a time. Dragon flies BTW are
attracted by open water, they apparently can see it from miles away.
Ego weeds that cover the pond surface might be good for you and
somewhere for frogs to hide. Water lily?

I have water lilies in the pond. I didn't clear it completely. I hauled out
a massive expanse of Iris which was sheltering all those dragon fly larvae.
They came out with it.

But I lost my frogs. Three years ago they arrived early and we had a big
freeze and the spawn didn't survive. Then the following year the larvae got
all the taddies as they hatched and I ended up with no new froglets. Last
year I had just a couple of frogs in the pond but had hoped that was enough
to keep going.

But it seems winter may have put paid to my adult population too since no
one has come this year. They used to arrive around the 14th February. The
pond is there. The weather is with us. I have kept the grass long and they
have cover on the one side and a shallow edge to climb in and out as
required ..... but no frogs.