Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
redled

Default was plants, now hi-tech LFS planted tank

In article , "NetMax" wrote:
I have this empty 54g tank on my display floor which I have been
planning to fill with water, but I just hadn't decided on a theme yet.
It's a very wide tank which seemed a little odd for the usual display
tanks coming out of the manufacturers. Your post has helped me decide to
go 100% planted and install three CO2 canisters (Hagen makes a
yeast/sugar model). There is also a new internal bio-filter from
Fluval(?) that I want to try (should be good to keep the CO2 levels from
dissipating too fast. The wide tank width will help with planting area
and with room for extra lights (some Oceanic CFs). *Amano, eat your
heart out... well maybe some day ;o)*. For fish, perhaps something
simple & elegant, like a school of 30 Harlequin Rasboras. I'd been
meaning to set up a display to show off these fish ) Thanks for the
idea redled!!

You're welcome! Sounds like you have a great store going. Hopefully your
setup, and extra information will get people into the hobby on the right foot
(ie: people will have a good first experience and the hobby will be a
long-term interest). I agree that simple stocking is best, after all, the
plants are supposed to be on display. IME amano shrimp are much less shy than
ghost shrimp, but I've also heard people say the opposite. Both are
harmless, but ghost shrimp may go after fry and eggs (including snail eggs).
Good idea with the Hagen CO2 systems. Don't want people to think that a fancy
setup is required for a nice tank, that might discourage them.

__
"Insert witty comment here."
-John