Old 28-02-2011, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sweetheart sweetheart is offline

Default Frogs all gone

On 2011-02-28 08:43:38 +0000, "sweetheart" hotmail.com said:

"Sacha" wrote in message

The advice usually given here when it comes to
people clearing ponds of unwanted plants, is to take the plants or weed
out but leave it on the side of the pond so that the creatures living
therein can find their way back into the water, which most/many will do.
There's also a disease that frogs get which has reduced their numbers
considerably.
--

You seem dead keen to make this my fault for some reason ( what have I donte
to you?) I did everything that you say here and I followed the

The frogs were not deseased. Yes I know about red leg. My best guess is the
freezes over the last two years saw them off. I just wondered what my
chances of getting a new lot to come in was - but obviously none.

I know ( from reading around) frogs are delicate creatures. I don't know how
long it is before they come to adulthood and spawning. I have a female as
she came to the pond last year but I suspect all my males have died as her
spawn didn't get fertilized last year. This year even she hasn't arrived.

I know there are a couple of frogs in the garden but they haven't come to
the pond.

You need to remember this is a garden pond, not a great expanse of water
like you may have living as you do on a nursery. I only have an acre for a
garden so my pond space is limited.

I don't want to argue. I am just so sad they haven't come. They meant a lot
to me each year.