Old 28-02-2011, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sweetheart sweetheart is offline

Default Frogs all gone

"Janet" wrote in message
In article , "sweetheart"
says...

I know there are a couple of frogs in the garden but they haven't come

the pond.

Unless you're conducting 24 hour surveillance on both, you don't know
if they are the same two frogs each time or whether they ever go to the
pond. Why not get them tagged with a GPS tracker?

I take it that is meant sarcastically? OK, I'll get it or them tagged! The
fact is

a) there are no frogs in the pond. I have looked
b) there is no spawn in the pond
c) normal activity at this time of year would give me sight of frogs in the
pond ( the pond is outside the sitting room window so I do have a good view
much of the day
d) I know of a frog ( or more) in the greenhouse down the bottom of the
garden around 300 yards away from the pond. I have disturbed him/ her/ them
(if more than one) two or three times clearing things up there. Done this
several times in the last few weeks.
e) I know of a second frog in the waste land at the bottom of the garden -
maybe the same frog. I would like to hope there are two. They do appear to
be different sizes.

So all in all I am well placed to say my frogs are not in the pond. Maybe
not 24 hour surveillance but close. The sad fact is I have lost my frogs
and its because I didn't take care of them. I didn't get rid of the
predators when I saw them in the first instance. I hope others will take
more care.

As I also said, I don't seem to have any newts either and I had a colony of
those too. All taken by 3 2 long giant larvae ( dragon fly). No dragon fly
larvae now though either. I saw to them and I have no qualms about that.