Old 01-03-2011, 10:02 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Hi

What I want is a guide that will give me an overview of how to lay out a
fixed space. Starting from what you've got, say a long thin border, or a
circular bed, or a crescent moon rockery, or a group of containers. Then
giving some general principles like how to balance shrubs vs bedding
plant vs ground cover, and what to do with colour and height and front/
back of the area. Also what to do at different times of the year, e.g.
have some evergreen shrubs for all-year life, some areas could be spring
bulbs/summer bedding/winter bare soil, etc. Then finally drill down into
specific plants to consider.
There's a bit of stuff at the front of one of the RHS Gardening dictionaries - either the Plants one, (the one which divides plants into types, subdivided by size, colour, and season of flowering), or the Gardening one. Have a look at both in your local library or a good bookshop and see if they give you what you want. And before you wince at the price, compare it with the cost of a couple of shrubs ;-)

There's three stages of gardening:

1) buy plants which are vigorous and easy to grow. Clematis montana feels very attractive at this stage ;-) The garden is soon bursting with colour

2) Realise that things can't all be allowed to grow as large as they wish, and cut back things so that they all live happily together

3) Realise that 3) is not possible and start making the hard choices - which do I like best, the mock orange of the lilac?

If you plan for the final garden, of full grown plants, it will look bare for a few years. I think you just have to accept that what is right in the early years may not be right later, and be prepared to make a lot of changes as you go through. It's part of the fun of gardening. And, of course, your tastes will change. So - have an overall plan, but don't be too prescriptive about the details.