Old 01-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Owdboggy Owdboggy is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerKay View Post
Thanks again Owdboggy. Will do at time of flowering.

The big problem last year was with the apples, must have lost pushing 75% of the crop. Plums were affected but not nearly as much.

We do get frosts here, we are at 760m alt, but anything lower than -4 is exceptional and only down there for a matter of hours. The garden is in full sun so with clear skies it warms up quickly even in Jan/Feb.

What I do not understand is why there are codling & plum moths. Only a handful of trees around and these very spread out. Thousands of olive trees, that can be affected by a similar problem so maybe a connection there.

Regards

Roger
The few numbers of Apples and Plums is probably the reason why you get so much trouble, the moths have nowhere else to go but on to yours.
We still get some damage even with the traps, but all we so is use the damaged fruit for either juicing or purée, cutting out the damage first. That way at least we do get more of our crop.