Old 01-03-2011, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Garden Vouchers

"Sacha" wrote ...

Bob Hobden" said:

Had £50 (2@ £25) of Garden Vouchers given to us and went to buy a book I
want at RHS Wisley shop costing £16.99.
"Yes we take the vouchers but we don't give change" said the chap on the
till.
So the RHS were going to make excess profit of £8 on the book costing
£16.99 if I had bought it. I also wanted stuff in the GC part but that
can't be amalgamated so the bill is over £25.
Later at a GC, one of a small group called Squires, the lady on the till
said yes we give change if it's less than £5 if over you get vouchers and
change.
I despair sometimes.

We don't give change, Bob. We have to send the vouchers back to the
people who issue them to get the money back from them (obviously) and
we don't get back the face value of the vouchers. They make a charge to
the merchant. Matthew tells me that, if anything, we lose on them.
Certainly, if we send in e.g. £1000 worth of vouchers, we don't get
anythinig like that back. Of course, our own vouchers are a different
matter and on those we do give change.

I wondered how the firm that makes them makes a profit on the deal, no
wonder the only GC (an independent) where we found something over £50 we
wanted said they didn't take them. They were given in good faith but are
proving to be a complete pain for us with a mature garden.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden