Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default OTish? Horse s**t. (Leading on from cat crap)

harry wrote in news:f2262cb6-995e-48dd-b70d-
:

The people here are far too hoity to rush out and shovel up horse
crap.
They go down the garden centre in their Beemers and buy expensive
sterile compost. Or at least it looks sterile to them.
We have lots of livery and horse arena thingys round here. My
nieghbour has a huge trailer, we go down there and assist them by
taking several tons of rotted crap away. The fresh stuff rots down
to nearly nothing.
Cow crap is better if you can get it. Horse cap is full of seeds,
nothing survives passage through a cow.

I have often read that horse manure is full of seeds but in my experience
the only ones are nettles. Perhaps I have been lucky. The nettles are a bit
of a nuisance but I have found that getting them out as they appear does
the trick mostly. I can see some in my garden now that I missed but can dig
them out as there is nothing planted by me, and is going to be dug over
soon for spring planting.
There is no chance of me getting cow manure these days, or pig manure for
that matter. My dad years ago could even get it free and delivered for
free, I don't know if it was that he knew the farmer or because the farmers
wanted it gone as a waste product.
One thing for certain imo is that manure is THE product(ok. by-product)
needed in a veg garden for 'how many' reasons.

Baz