View Single Post
  #30   Report Post  
Old 03-03-2011, 01:21 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2009

[/quote]

Hi All,

For those of you using a Bokashi bin it is now I believe possible to culture your own EM's using a beer type brewing barrel or similar. It is a relatively simple and will produce gallons of EM's for a few pence.

1. Establish the capacity of the barrel / container.

2. Make a dilution of molasses in hot tap water, add 1 tablespoonful for every gallon of capacity, This amount of tap water should be quickly detoxified by the EM's.

3. Pour this dilution into the barrel / container, then fill container to approximately 2/3 full with rain water.

4. Add 1 pint of Bokashi runoff culture to the barrel / container and top up with rain water, stir well and seal to exclude air.

5. Place barrel / container in a position where it receives moderate temperature and leave for 3 to 4 days.

6. You should now have a barrel / container of EM's to use as you wish in your soil and on your crops.

It is more beneficial to use a clear plastic barrel with a bottom stopcock, by this means you can keep the process on going. As you draw off a gallon of EM's so you replace it with a gallon dilution of molasses and reseal the cap. Within 3 or 4 days it will once again be ready to harvest, as I have said before its not rocket science it is this simple.

You can distribute lemonade bottles full of Bokashi runoff liquid to your friends at the allotment so that they can culture their own EM's.

EM's can also be used as a foliar spray on your crops to ward off disease.

You can also spray your dried inoculated charcoal with these EM's prior to digging it into the soil, this may speed up soil detoxification deeper within the soil.

This is not a daydream, I believe that it can be done, you just need to realise that such a soil is possible and get involved.

These are only my thoughts others will disagree

Uriel 13

The mind is like a parachute, its totally useless unless its open!