Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Conifers .. Who is responsible ?

"Simmo" wrote in message

I was recently speaking to a friend of mine who has just had his conifer
hedge trimmed by a guy who runs his own gardening business .. My friend
was told that he was responsible for his side of the conifers and for
the tops but the neighbour at the other side of the hedge was
responsible for getting (and paying for) his side to be trimmed .. Has
anyone heard of this before and is it a legally binding issue ?

Thanks very much ..

AIUI the owner of the trees is responsible for them and must keep all parts
of them to his own side of the boundary. If the owner fails/refuses to do
this, the neighbour can trim them back to the boundary, but the trimmings
remain the property of the owner, and the neighbour must offer them back to
him. Of course, in the event that the owner is a belligerent type, this
might not be good for the neighbours health, and I didn't tell you any of
this.

Steve