Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tring14 View Post
Hi,
I purchased a healthy Dicksonia Fibrosa in the autumn and after reading threads fortunately put in an outhouse and wrapped for the v cold winter. It is still in tub and I lifted it outside last week and unwrapped to find all 10 fronds are browning and have still not unfurled. I've also noticed some white powder on the leaves - is this some form of fungi?
I only sprayed the fern a couple of times during winter, should i have watered more? Do i remove the fronds and should I plant in suitable place to prosper (I've read they do indeed have roots)? I'm very concerned I've terminally damaged a great tree fern..
Lesson 1. Never buy a tree fern in the autumn/winter. Get an expert to overwinter it before it is established.
Lesson 2. Assuming yours is still alive, and there must be some doubt about that, here's the definitive advice on how to look after Dicksonia fibrosa, which is a slightly trickier fern to keep alive in Britain than D antartica, but easier than anything called Cyathea.
Home - The Fern House