Old 04-03-2011, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Conifers .. Who is responsible ?

In article ,
says...

I was recently speaking to a friend of mine who has just had his conifer
hedge trimmed by a guy who runs his own gardening business .. My friend
was told that he was responsible for his side of the conifers and for
the tops but the neighbour at the other side of the hedge was
responsible for getting (and paying for) his side to be trimmed .. Has
anyone heard of this before and is it a legally binding issue ?

Thanks very much ..

It rather depends on where the trees are planted and for what purpose,
title deeds often have a indication on who owns which boundry (mine says
"Half Hedge" meaning my neighbours and myself are equally responsible
for upkeep and maintainance) generally the line of trees will belong to
the side in which they are planted, they are then responsible for cutting
the hedge their side and the top but they are not intitled to gain access
to maintain the other side, the neighbours have no duty to cut anything
but can if they wish can cut anything that intrudes into their land
provided they offer the cuttings to the hedges owner. However many
housing estates come with covenants that control who owns what and who
has to maintain what (even if they don't own it) and may even go as far
as the type of fence panel its colour or type of hedging plant
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk