Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default herbs in hanging baskets

cookygirl43 wrote:

I want to grow herbs in a 16" basket...which herbs and how many to
put in?

Why a basket... I think you'll have better results growing herbs in a
planter; a flower pot or a window box... whether the planter is in a
basket or not is of no consequence. Of course you'll do best growing
herbs directly in the ground... even if you rent you can still find a
small piece of ground... herbs don't need much space... a piece of
ground 2' X 4' can supply a family with more herbs than they can
possibly use. Start with a couple three parsley plants, a couple of
basil plants, a sprig or two of thyme, a fistful of chives, and maybe
a small rosemary shrub. I think that's a very good basic assortment.
You can add or subtract according to your taste in cooking. I
would've suggested oregano but like mint it's very invasive and cheap
enough to buy dried and that works as well if not better then fresh.
Actually my only must-grow herb is parsley, I like curly parsley
better than flat leaf, I like it fresh in salads. I don't much care
for basil. In ending I will warn that many popular herbs are very
invasive... don't even think about growing dillweed or fennel seeds
outdoors, your neighbors will lynch you.